Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool

"You'll never walk alone" ...and so rang the chants of Liverpool football fans, in just about every bar in downtown Oslo this evening. It was the UEFA Champions League final, with Liverpool FC winning against AC Milan. The entire city was cheering for Liverpool, partly because they're the traditional favourite (aka the Leafs or Canadiens in that league I don't watch anymore), and also because there's a Norwegian playing on Liverpool.



I walked out of a restaurant after dinner this evening, and AC Milan was up 3-0. That's like a team being up 49-0 in the NFL or 1-0 in the (clutch-and-grab) NHL. But as we were walking back to the hotel, we passed by open-air bars packed with fans in Liverpool red and saw/heard the score go from 3-0 to 3-1 then to 3-2 so I figured I would join some other conference people at the sports bar across from the hotel.

Just after I got there, Liverpool scored to tie, and then it remained that way through the 90 minutes and the extra 30 minutes. There was a small group of AC Milan fans in the bar, and it was fun watching the two groups go back and forth (friendly-like). It went to spot kicks (aka penalty kicks, leave me in europe for a week and I'll figure out the lingo), and Liverpool won.

...

So the conference has been pretty good so far. Had my presentation today, and that went over okay. A number of people asked questions (which is what I was hoping for, keeping the discussion going for the full hour that I had).

I was expecting to have wireless access at the conference, but there wasn't, so I've been having to buy access through my hotel to check my work emails, which is pretty expensive.

Hobnobbed around, made a lot of good contacts, found out the answers to most of the questions I had going into the conference, so well worth the time to come here.

...

Tanya ended up going to Stockholm over the last couple days, while the conference was going on. She's meeting me in Bergen. I just booked the hotel in Bergen for the weekend; it's pretty busy there because there's a jazz festival and some other festival going on, and the city is mostly booked up.

...

Last night CCI took us out for their traditional dinner, which is always one of the highlights of the conference. It was at the Norwegian Maritime Museum, and they had a sommelier announce the four-course dinner and the various wines he had chosen for each course and why they matched. It was an excellent meal as usual. My favourite course was the seafood:



The guy did a really good job of matching wines, it was a vicious circle of eating a mouthful, drinking some wine, eating another bite...

Anyways I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment