Sunday, June 09, 2002

Potosi, Bolivia

Well I have returned from a 4 day trip around Uyuni. I took the train from Tupiza to Uyuni, which was quite nice in Ejectivo class. It was even heated, which is a novelty in transportation here. I got to Uyuni around midnight. Uyuni is at 3600m and it's pretty cold at night. Unfortunately most hostels don't have heating, but they do have a million blankets. So I was quite warm at night but my nose froze.

The next morning I woke up without a headache so I figured I was acclimatized enough (given the altitude) to sign up for the trip. There was a driver, a cook, and 6 of us (4 Danes, another Canadian and me), in a Toyota Land Cruiser. This is the slow season in this part of the world, and there were about 6 or 7 other groups that left the same day. I'm glad I'm not here in the busy season.

The first day we saw Salar de Uyuni. This is a huge dried up salt lake at 3600 m. It is a big huge flat surface, white as far as you can see. It was so flat that I could have raced my Civic across it. This is one of the top 10 things to see in South America in my opinion.

The next day we reached Laguna Colorado, which is a lake that is a type of red colour (I guess Colorado red). It was quite beautiful. Unfortunately I decided to climb up a little hill (about 100m up) to get a better view but the exertion triggered a headache from the altitude (we were now at 4200m).

On the third day we got up very early (at 5:00) to see geysers. This was at 4950m, and the combination of altitude, early morning and season meant that it was -30 C outside. I didn't take many pictures. Then we got to some hot springs at 4600m, and it was quite refreshing just to stick my feet in (I think the water was at 35C, and the air temperature had warmed up to about 5C). Unlike other hot springs that I have been too, this one had absolutely no infrastructure around it. Just the water coming out of the ground. Some other tourists from the other groups actually went fully in, with bathing suits, but I think it would have been too cold after.

Then we went to Laguna Verde, which is a green lake. (They are very boring with the naming of the lakes here. We also saw a Laguna Blanca and Laguna Negro. There's an area we drove through that's called Valley of Dali. Not the original name I'm sure.) Laguna Verde is at 5000m, and the peak of Volcan Licancabur at 5950m is in the background. This also makes my top 10 for South America. The whole area that we traveled through over the 4 days is very beautiful, one of the most amazing natural areas that I have seen.

The last day was a long drive home. The whole trip cost only $70 US, including transportation, accommodation and food (although not the Hilton, but still pretty good). I think Toyota should be doing commercials here. Almost all the vehicles were Toyota Land Cruisers, and over the 4 days we drove over salt lakes, through dusty sandy areas, temperature ranging from 10C to -30C, fjording rivers up to 3 feet deep, without problems.

That night I caught a bus to Potosi, which in the 1600s and 1700s was a very important city because of its wealth from the silver mines. Potosi sits at 4050m, and according to the LP is the highest city in the world. Although I'm sure there's a bunch of cities that claim this title. In any case, this morning went on a tour of the mine. They still mine in much the same way as they did years ago. The conditions are terrible, most miners die after working there 20 years. We bought cigarettes, coca leaves and dynamite (!) for gifts for the miners so we could take pictures. Yep, you can buy dynamite from street stalls here. And there I was, dynamite and fuse in a plastic bag clambouring about in narrow tunnels in the mine hoping it wouldn't go off before I gave it to a miner.

Potosi itself is a beautiful little town, with cobblestone streets and colonial architecture. (Even with my jaded view of colonial architecture I still think the town is beautiful.)

So now I sit in an internet cafe, drinking a CocaCola, eating a llama burger, catching up on my news and sending emails. It's still very odd for me that in the middle of nowhere I can do this. Next I am going to La Paz to buy a whole bunch of souvenirs, and then somehow get back to Santiago for my flight. I have heard that the road from here to La Paz is being blocked occasionally by strikers, but that on Sundays I should be okay. Well I have a week to get to Santiago in any case. (The llama burger tastes like a burger).

Hope everything is going well at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment