Thursday, June 13, 2002

Arica, Chile

So I made it out of Bolivia okay without being affected by the road strikes. Although I met some other travellers that did get stuck in cities for a few days by them so I guess I got lucky.

The first view of La Paz is one of the more amazing cities to see. You´re driving along the altiplano at about 3600m, and suddenly there´s a huge chasm in the earth and inside is a city of 1.5 million people, filling the entire thing. The main street runs right down the middle, so it´s impossible to get lost because if you head down you´ll always find the main street. But when you´re in it it´s like how the futuristic cities in space must be like, it looks like people are literally living all around. The city itself is pretty lively, there´s always people about.

So I spent 3 days relaxing and souvenir shopping (La Paz is also one of the best places in South America to buy souvenirs). Then this morning I took a bus from La Paz to Arica (Chile). I was surprised because the road was paved the entire way. The border crossing is a pass at 4660m, and then in the next 3 hours we dropped all the way to Arica at sea level. Wasn´t as impressive as the Friendship highway between Tibet and Nepal but the scenery still was pretty good.

See most of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment