Thursday, October 05, 2000

Buenos Aries, Argentina

Well, I have returned to BA. I flew back yesterday from Ushuaia, which was much quicker than the bus rides to get there. (Only 3 hours).

So Ushuaia was pretty cool. There were a bunch of war ships from 5 countries in port, doing some naval exercises. Unfortunately that meant that the entire town was filled with navy types. On Tuesday me & the german guy from the hostel who spoke really good spanish tried to trek up one of the peaks to see a glacier. It took us about 3 hours walking uphill in snow to get near the top, only to find out that at this time of year the glacier is covered with snow and you can´t see anything. But there were cool views of Ushuaia (I think we were at about 1250 m) and also looking south. We tried to figure out which way was exactly south, but we weren´t really sure. There´s a lot of islands further south than Ushuaia, in fact the next one south is only about a couple km across the water, but you can´t get to any of them cheaply. We slid down the peak on our backs in the snow (it was about a 45 degree incline) which in retrospect wasn´t such a good idea cause I got my only jacket and sweater wet, but it was way fun. Then that night we splurged on dinner and went to an all-you-can-eat (here´s it´s a tenedor libre, which translates to free fork) and ate too much. After in the hostel there were actually lotsa backpackers, so we drank most of the night away, in a combination of mostly spanish and some english.

Then next morning I caught my flight back to BA, and stayed at Kirsty´s place again. We went to salsa class again (this time I wasn´t so tired so I did better). Then I was trying to buy groceries for dinner, and was looking for zucchini (sp?) but didn´t know the spanish word for it, and couldn´t tell the difference between a zuchini (that spelling looks better) and a cucumber, and ended up buying a cucumber. Who´s to know with all these similar vegetables.

Today I was supposed to go to Iguazu but decided to relax a day in BA and do some sightseeing (saw Eva Peron´s grave amongst others), and tomorrow I´m going to the falls. Then I´ll try to see if they´ll let me into Paraguay, (Canadians need a visa in advance according to the embassy in Canada, but at the border maybe they´ll have a different opinion).