Tuesday, October 03, 2000

Ushuaia, Argentina

Well I am now at the bottom of the Americas. For the last time, this is the furthest south I have ever been. I got to Ushuaia yesterday evening, finally reaching the furthest south you can get by road & ferry. Just bought a ticket to fly back to BA, cause it´s cheaper and also I don´t want to spend all that time on buses. So today I plan to trek out to another glacier, and then send a bunch of postcards. If you don´t get one, it must have got lost in the mail. You know how it is here with the post.

In the hostel that I´m staying at, there´s a couple other backpackers whose spanish is pretty good. So last night we talked mostly in spanish, which I always find odd when people speak in their second (or non-first at least) language, when I think we all spoke english better. But it´s good for the practice. Last night I also splurged on dinner and ate in a restaurant (as opposed to buying stuff in a store and eating in the hostel). I had cordero, which is a lot of meat. Too much meat in fact, I couldn´t even finish half. But it was way good. Beer´s also pretty cheap here, $1.60 US for a 940 ml 4.9% bottle. (Actually, I guess that´s about the same price as Canada. It just seems cheap for Argentina).

Punta Arenas (the last town I was in) was a really nice place. The centro is pretty small, so it´s easy to walk around. People don´t seem to mind the temperature either. Although there´s not much of a range here, I think the temperature is between 5 and 15 in summer and 0 and 10 in winter, but when it´s 15 it´s like it´s summer. Most locals are in short sleeves, and at night people go out for ice cream! Although I guess it´s like how I drive on the first nice spring day with my window down (but I do have the heat blasting).

Ushuaia I´ll see today, but there´s about 12 navy ships from different countries in port, so there´s a tonne of military people all over town, which isn´t so nice (darned tourists). At first I thought that they were on vacation or something and that the flights to BA would all be full but they´ll be leaving by boat (or whatever the term is). It was also strange after being in all these towns before tourist season and now there´s a million tourists.