Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Hat Ton Sai, Thailand

I'm in just about the most remote place you can get, and of course there's an internet cafe. I guess "remote" doesn't have the same meaning as it used to (cue up the Grumpy Old Man voice).

Marissa and I flew from Bangkok to Krabi, on the west coast of Thailand, for the princely sum of $40 US. (I found the cheap flight on the net, go figure). From the airport, we took a taxi to Krabi, and then a long-tailed boat to Hat Ton Sai.

Hat Ton Sai is a beach and a forest surrounded by 200m high limestone cliffs, which make it accessible only by water. We're staying in a pretty nice place, we have our own air conditioned cabin, for $14, including a huge breakfast. The place is carved right out of the trees, there's huge trees and all kinds of tropical plants all around. Plus the chef at the place is amazing, I had for lunch the best pad thai I've ever had. Yesterday I had a rice dish served in a half-pineapple. It's just before busy season, so we have the place pretty much to ourselves. The chef is really attentive, the first day Marissa asked for whole wheat bread, and ever since he's always made sure that her bread was whole wheat.

Just had a massage for 250B (about $6), and don't want to move because I'm all relaxed. I think we're going to come down here every day for a massage.

Because of the limestone cliffs, this place is a hangout for rock climbers. The diving around the area is supposedly one of the top 10 places in the world, and it's only about $15 US a tank! (Elsewhere the going rate is about $50). That's for tomorrow though.

I think we've gotten over our jetlag finally, although with all the opportunities to nap on an island resort, it's hard to tell.

Well, I'm off to plan my diving for tomorrow. I wonder if the US will have decided on who won the election by the time I check tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment