Sunday, November 07, 2004

Phuket, Thailand

Phuket is pretty much just a jumping-off spot to get to Koh Phi Phi. Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok and then to Siem Reap in Cambodia, where Angkor Wat is. So we had a day to kill today, and went to the beach, our last chance to be in the ocean; the rest of the trip is inland.

We took a local bus, supposedly called a songthaew (don't ask me how to pronounce that, everyone here has called it "local bus"), to Nai Harn Beach, about 10 km outside of town. A songthaew is just a pickup truck, with two benches and a covering. It only cost us 30B each (about 75 cents).

Nai Harn Beach is a nice long beach, the sand isn't as fine as on Koh Phi Phi, but the water is amazingly clear and warm (about 30C). Had lunch (noodle soup, with chicken to which the locals add chilis, sugar, ground peanuts, and chili flakes. Marissa thought it was weird to add sugar to chicken noodle soup, I think she's too provincial. I had it with everything, including the sugar, it tasted really good).

Beach bummed for the day, and then caught another local bus back to town. The driver tried to con us into paying only 300B! fast! phhht! and showed us a "bus schedule" where the next songthaew wasn't for an hour. In reality, there are no schedules, the songthaews leave whenever there's enough passengers. So we waited only a couple minutes, and some other locals jumped on and so we were off, for 30B.

Yesterday went for dinner to an italian restaurant. I'm always leery of other types of food, because you never know what a Thai's impression of italian food is, but the owner was an italian expat, so I tried the pasta with clams in a white wine sauce, which was excellent. He even had an expresso machine, so I had one, just for the novelty of having an expresso in some small town in Thailand.

I found a solution to the problem of having all my pictures on my camera. (Cause if my camera gets stolen, so do all my pics). There's a lot of places that have card readers (e.g. my camera has an SD-RAM card), and they will cut a CD for you! So for 150B I now have my first week's worth of pictures on a CD.

It takes a while for me to upload pics cause the connection speed in internet places isn't that great, but here's a sampling. You should be able to click on the pics for a larger size if I did this right:

One of the islands we saw on the tour around Koh Phi Phi


West Railay Beach


The cabin we stayed in at Hat Ton Sai


Well Marissa's massage is about done so I have to go meet her for dinner. Later!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eric - it sounds like you're having a great time. I really like the pictures - you create an interesting frame. I've enjoyed your blog ever since finding it and have commented once before. I think you sound like a very decent human being and I enjoy your take on life and the way you write about it. Take care. Karen.

    ReplyDelete