Saturday, November 05, 2005

Kigali, Rwanda

We're just about to catch our plane back to Nairobi, and tomorrow we'll start the GAP Adventure safari through Tanzania, so I may not be able to update my blog for a while.

I got a bit of a cold in Gisenyi, I think the same thing everyone had in Toronto before I left. I thought I had had it in Toronto too, and beaten it, but maybe the lack of sleep from the jetlag let it come back. Anyways, slept most of the last day in Gisenyi while Marissa hung out on the beach.

Yesterday we took a three-hour bus ride back to Kigali. We got here early enough to go see the Genocide Memorial. It was very well done, it's shocking how many people died, and how many people were complicit.

Last night was Friday night, and our hotel's bar is quite the hopping place on Fridays. They had live music, and lots of (mostly) men came by to have drinks. We think it's an upscale place because most people were drinking imported beer (Heineken). Marissa and I split a large Primus (the local beer) (the beer here comes in large bottles, shared the same way as pitchers in Canada) (72cl, 5%, $3US). Marissa had most of it, I just had a little bit so she wasn't drinking alone.

I crashed early, trying to sleep away this cold. I'm still not 100%, but should be okay for the safari.

We really liked Rwanda, the people here are really friendly. I don't think there's a flat spot in the country, there are hills everywhere. Because it's rainy season, everything is really green too. There aren't very many tourists here (I think because of the reputation leftover from the genocide), but that will probably change as more people hear about how nice it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment