Monday, November 14, 2005

Moshi, Tanzania

The last couple days of the safari were uneventful, as there were no more game drives. We were able to upgrade to lodges the last two nights, and so finished the safari in relative comfort.

Overall the safari was much what I had hoped for, my favourite game drive was the last morning in the Serengeti, the scale of the view just blew me away. The animals were very close to us, which was also really nice (for those of us without huge zooms on our cameras!). The group of people were really fun to be with, and our guides and cook were excellent. Overall two thumbs up!

I'm now in Moshi waiting to start the Kili climb tomorrow morning. I was dropped off by the safari at the Springlands Hotel yesterday early morning. Said goodbye to everyone on the safari, including Marissa who carried on back to Nairobi to fly home. Having traveled a bit, it wasn't that weird for me to become really close to people and then say goodbye, but I think for other people it would be odd. Usually this happens every couple of days when backpacking!

The Springlands Hotel is a resort-type place that you don't really need to leave. They did all my laundry at reasonable prices (60 cents for a pair of pants!), they sell water, have internet access, and will cash traveller's cheques. The hotel is on the outskirts of Moshi, and they have a shuttle to and from the town every 30 minutes.

I relaxed yesterday, catching up on my reading and keying in my safari blog entries.

This morning, JP arrived at the hotel (JP is my friend from Toronto, who is in east Africa at the same time, and we're doing the climb together). JP booked the trip over here, and thanks to the internet we were able to organize meeting etc, even though we were on separate safaris. That still amazes me.

This morning we booked a flight to Zanzibar, returning to Nairobi. It was also very painless to my surprise. We walked into the travel agency, and walked out 10 minutes later with tickets in hand!

Tomorrow JP and I start walking up Kili. We're doing the Marangu route, which has huts the whole way. If all goes well, I'll be at the top (5896m) on Friday night just before midnight Toronto-time. I'm not expecting internet access along the way, so this may be it for another week.

I was expecting more internet places to cut CDs from digital camera cards. However, I've only seen them in Nairobi. My card was full, and yesterday I walked all around Moshi looking for a place to cut a CD, but got only blank stares. However, JP rescued me because he was able to download my pics to his iPod, and lent me an extra 1GB card. Thank goodness, or else I would have had to delete some more pictures. I bought the largest card at the time (256MB) when I bought my camera, but I definitely need to upgrade that to a 1GB card.

Well, I'm off to have an afternoon nap!

1 comment:

  1. 1 GB is not enough for me! I travel with 2 1GB cards. 1 usually does me for a week. If I was on safari, I'd have to get 4 or 5 1 GB cards or a min 20GB IPOD! IPODs are great for being able to download stuff! Anyway, have fun climbing!

    ReplyDelete