Friday, November 25, 2005

Nairobi, Kenya

JP, Susan and I returned from Zanzibar and are spending our last few hours in Nairobi before our flights home late tonight. (Quick background: JP and his friend Susan traveled together on safari, similar to Marissa and I. Then JP and I met up to climb Kili, went on to Zanzibar where we met Susan). The three of us are killing the afternoon, buying souvenirs, avoiding the intermittent short rains, surfing the web...

JP and Susan fly on BA and I'm on KLM so I won't see them on the flights (nor on the seven hour layover in Amsterdam), but I have my big fat Dostoyevsky book to tide the time.

Zanzibar was VERY relaxing. Mostly it was spent at laying around the Nyota bungalows, listening to the ocean, reading books, staying out of the sun, waiting for the next meal (the seafood was amazing).

We got out diving once (on Thurdsay, every other day was fully-booked). Went on a double dive. The first one was rather uneventful, not many fishes or coral to look at. The second dive was better, we saw three big turtles, including one swimming, which I've never seen while diving, it was pretty cool. Overall I thought there was more to see in the Caribbean (plus the water's warmer there -- about 28C vs only 25C here). We did wear full wetsuits which was a first for me. But it was fun to be out diving again. I'd like to go on a diving vacation at some point, because the first dive is mostly wasted on getting my feet wet again (pardon the pun).

I'll be home shortly, and I'll post pictures from my trip. See you soon if you're in Toronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment