Sunday, November 20, 2005

Moshi, Tanzania

We made it! was all I could say to a group of amused Germans after JP and I returned to the Kibo huts from Uhuru, the peak of Kili.

...

We started the climb on Tuesday. We drove from Moshi to the Marangu gate, our guide (Emmanuel) went through the paperwork, and we were off by noon.

The first day we climbed from 1800m to 2700m, to the Mandara huts. The walk was first through rainforest, abruptly changing to heathers around 2300m (JP has a GPS, a neat little toy for a trip such as this). It took us 3.5 hours to cover the 8km.

The second day we climbed to Homboro, at 3700m, about 11km from Mandara. This took us about 4 hours, and we had now cleared the treeline and the walk was through beautiful moorlands. I felt quite sick that evening, with headaches, and was worried about altitude sickness. A couple Tylenol cleared that up, and I now suspect it was caused by sun exposure rather than altitude, because I did not have any problems the rest of the way.

The third day was a planned rest day, in order to help acclimatization. We had a short day-trip to about 4100m, (it's better to sleep below the high point of the day), from which we had an excellent view of the remaining walk.

The fourth day we walked to the Kibo huts, at 4700m. The normal 6-day Marangu climb involves walking to Kibo on Day 4, and then getting up at 11pm to ascend to the summit by 6am and returning back to Horombo on Day 5, and then back to the gate on Day 6. However, we covered the 9km to the Kibo huts in 3.5 hours, and our guide asked us if we wanted to climb to the summit that afternoon! -- the benefit being that it was about 10C at the summit dayside, and -15C nightside. We got all excited, and quickly had some lunch, and by 12:15 pm we were off! (JP and I, plus Emmanuel and a assistant guide -- so that there was one guide per climber).

The climb from Kibo huts to Gilman's point is a 1000m ascent, at about a 45* incline. We covered the first 500m quite quickly, and then took a break. I had a Snickers bar (packed with peanuts, I found it really satisfying), and an "energy tablet" from Emmanuel, which I think was just a citrus candy. That gave me a boost, and we started on the remaining 500m to Gilman's. The terrain was now steeper and just loose gravel and sand. Not the easiest thing to walk up.

We made it to 200m remaining and took another break. I didn't have a headache, which surprised me, but at over 5000m it was tough going. My heart was beating as fast as I have ever heard it, and I just couldn't get a full breath of air because it was so thin. We psyched ourselves up, thinking only 200m to go, we can do that! But I kept on looking up every couple minutes and it wasn't getting much closer.

Finally we reached the top of Gilman's, at roughly 5700m, after 3.5 hours. Almost there! From Gilman's there was a great view into the crater, and it was cool to see clouds wisping up the mountain, breaking into streaks that dove into the crater and then up the other side.

I had another Snickers bar and Emmanuel's energy tablet.

Our true goal was another 200m up, around the rim of the crater, to Uhuru. Fortunately, this was an easier walk, although we started by going down 10m, and all I could think was that we'd pay for that by having to ascend 10m later on.

The walk to Uhuru took about 1 hour, and this was the only part that was really cold. Finally in the approachable distance, we could see the signs announcing Uhuru!

JP reached the peak first with his guide, and shortly after (local time 5pm, Toronto time 10am Friday), I reached there. The guides hugged us and congratulated us.

(This next part is slightly fuzzy, and mostly is recounted from stories JP and I told over beers back down at the hotel. The lack of oxygen at that height 5896m, affected our thinking, in that we weren't really thinking at all)

I looked around, not clear on what to do next. Our guide took pictures of us with our cameras. I had enough wits to take a 360 panaroma. I don't remember feeling elated or happy or anything. I was just on autopilot.

We walked back to Gilman's (about 30 minutes), and then began descending the gravel. This was fun, although really exhausting. We took giant moonsteps down, each foot sinking and sliding about 5m before stopping. It was like skiing moguls, and JP and I could only keep it going for 10 seconds at a time, before our legs gave up. The descent down to Kibo huts took about an hour, finishing just as darkness fell on the mountain. That's when I entered the hut, and showed up in front of the Germans in the dining room, telling them that we had made it.

I was drenched in sweat, and took off most of the layers of clothing. We could only have soup for dinner, solid food seemed like too much work. I tried to sleep, but my body was too pumped from the last 11 hours of walking up 2200m and back down 1200m, over 18km. My brain still wasn't really thinking.

Everyone else at Kibo woke up at 11pm to begin their night ascent, and JP and I both wished everyone luck. Finally around midnight I fell asleep.

on Day 5, we walked all the way back from Kibo to the Marangu gates, a drop of 3000m over 30km. This was the most physically exhausting part of the climb. Passing down through 4000m, I was surprised that I was thinking again, and realized that I hadn't had much thoughts over the last little while. Amazing what oxygen does for the brain. The air became gradually thicker, and it was very noticeable.

We got back to the hotel by 5pm, and showered for the first time in 5 days. Over that time, I had had no alcohol or caffeine (to help prevent altitude sickness), the cook was good but had some kind of aversion to salt, walking 10km a day in clean air -- in short, it's probably the healthiest my body has been in a while.

A few beers at the hotel fixed that problem, with JP, and Gary and Ricky, two other guys we had met on the climb (Gary was also on my safari). It was then that much of the stories of the ascent to Uhuru were pieced together. I hadn't realized the effect of thin oxygen on thinking until that point!

Many people say it's the hardest thing they've done in their lives. For me, it was physically exhausting, but no more so than say playing hockey with only 2 guys on the bench. Mentally, I find it harder to wake up for my early morning meetings on Wednesdays. It was physically and mentally exhausting, but not that bad. (For the record, I found learning to roll a kayak the hardest thing I've done. I was on a kayak course in Nepal, and didn't have to learn to roll -- but I wanted to, and spent many extra hours in the glacial (ie darned cold) waters of the Kali Gandaki before I finally got it. Climbing Kili, I had to reach the peak, or there was no point to it.)

JP and I are relaxing today (getting our laundry done, sending emails, etc), and tomorrow we fly to Zanzibar.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment